Friday, March 13, 2015

This Horse

Today was lesson day and I can't wait to share the pictures that Sprinklerbandit got.  For starters, lets all have a  moment of silence for her iPhone skillz, these aren't screenshots from video.
ottb domination
His neck, his knees, his everything
I warmed up with a nice forward trot and canter, mostly just trying to avoid other people, there were 6 of us today, and one was a really squirrely youngster.  The jumps started out as piles of poles on the ground with flower boxes.  I was informed that I could canter them until such time that we lost privileges.  I was a little under powered the first time around, but he didn't get rushy.  He did take the lack of actual jumps into his own hands and decided the flower boxes were excuse enough to tuck his knees, he was lovely and landed on each lead we wanted though!
Wheee flowers
Magical map
We started over the oxer finished over the vertical.  Well the next time through I slipped into gallop position (damn you racehorses) and he threw his head in the air to charge at the jump poles on the ground.  We were relegated to trot.  The jumps then went up to actual jumps, ranging from 2' to 2'9" and we were able to do a mix of cantering and trotting (each on their own as opposed to the famous gait called a tranter).  I had to stay committed to riding straight and if he rushed just kind of letting him get in deep and figure it out.  By the end of the lesson we were straight and he was jumping really well, we were keeping enough pace that he didn't feel the need to rush and I could soften over the jumps.
More mess than magical
The course was really fun to ride, sorry that map is such a cluster.
Early in the lesson, this was eventually an oxer
Before we got straight and soft
Yay release and neck
Lets just look at him and not me
We talked about how I could get him around a novice right now and we would get the job done.  That said he would be fried and our shots at moving up and really unlocking his potential and talent would be slim.  So we talked about where our holes are and what work I can do (get our progress on the flat to transfer to the jumps).  I am happy to take my time and really teach him how to do what we are doing and to understand his body.  For myself I have got to stay committed to riding him the best that I can and not reverting into 'giterdone mode.  It is an easy place to go, especially on a game horse.  I've ridden so many rejects/problems/etc that that ability to get the horse from point a to point b over a jump and around a course is deeply ingrained.  I've been that person for people who need their horses to 'getoverit, the problem is I didn't get to balance that out riding quality horses or trained horses or in lessons.  I am really enjoying the opportunity to improve my riding and take things to the next level.
Thomas the lesson cat giving me some loves #imissmypatcat


21 comments:

  1. I'm SO happy for you. Prisoner is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg...I think we might be the same rider person. I too am always in giterdone mode due to all the rejects I have ridden. So hard to fight that feeling. Hard to explain. We have horses to enjoy..we need to slow our brains down. You guys look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad you got some ginger kitty love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously looking bad ass!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is jumping phenomenal! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't stop looking at that first picture!

      Delete
  6. You guys are making awesome progress, I mean you haven't even been together a year and look at those awesome photos ♡♡♡♡
    Can't wait to see where the spring/summer takes you now that the weather is hopefully better and you can get even more work done ☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys look great!! I really like your trainers point too about just being able to *do* a novice event right now doesn't mean you should... Very good point for taking your time to get it right. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the ginger kitty! :)
    I am jealous of your jumping skillz and your weather!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. I don't know why I've never noticed this, but your helmet looks FAB. Love that colour combo.
    2. Prisoner is seriously such a badass in these pictures.
    3. I so appreciate your argument for taking things slowly and fill in the holes for P (and yourself). I am so looking forward to watching you guys progress! Like really, so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. Thanks, found it on super sale too!
    2. He thinks so too;)
    3. Thank you, I'm loving how supportive the whole blogging community is!

    ReplyDelete